Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Thankful to see...(John 9)

There was a time in my life where I thought I knew best.  I looked to myself as the final authority.  If it felt good to me, do it.  If it seemed good to me, do it. 

During that time, I never really considered myself to be a bad person.  Sure I did things, said things, thought things that were probably bad, but man, compared to the rapist, the serial killer, the thief, I was a saint!  If someone were to tell me that I was a sinner, I would laugh at them, and then in my pride, show them how good of a person I really was.  I would point to how well-liked and well-respected I was by my peers.  I would point to my clean criminal/driving record.  I would tell them how I went to church all the time, even volunteered at different youth organizations and homeless outreaches. Essentially, I would point to myself.

Of course, I was not saved at that time.  I was like the Pharisees who saw themselves as these good, righteous people who loved and served God, when really they were legalists who loved themselves.  That was me.  I was so caught up with myself that I was blinded to my own sinfulness, blinded to how ugly and unacceptable I was before the holy God.  But by God's grace, He removed the dirt and grime that was covering my eyes, and He allowed me to see and taste that the Lord is good.  He allowed me to understand my wickedness and my need for Christ as Savior and Lord.

Now, if someone were to come up to me and say that I was a sinner, I would still laugh at them.  And I would tell them that they were absolutely correct in their assessment.  And instead of pointing to myself to try to defend my saintliness, I would point to Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment